About Me

Monday, August 4, 2014

Books read in July


These are the books I read in July. My favourite was The Signature of All Things, I got it for Christmas and had been saving it till I had time to devote to it, and I'm so glad I did.



 This novel takes place in my favourite time period- Victorian, and it did evoke the setting and period really well. The women characters were strong and realistic, I liked reading a book with so many determined and tough women. I loved the first half of the book, but the second half was almost like a different book, which I didn't enjoy so much.

This is the second book in the Gower Street Detective series. A nice, light read, I love the relationship and banter between Grice, the detective and his ward, March. March is a great female character, strong,  intelligent and interesting.The Victorian setting is done well, and the mystery was suspenseful, I can't wait till the next book in this series comes out!

A quick, motivating, inspirational read. Sophia Amoruso's story is fascinating and encouraging - she gives so many helpful tips that can be applied to life in or career in general, not just starting your own business.

I loved everything about this book. The main character, Alma, is fascinating, and I loved the focus on botany. Even though this was quite long, it was well-written and easy to read, and never dragged. The exotic locations were described so well, and the characters were well-rounded and realistic. I'll be writing a more thorough review in the next couple of days.


I've just realised that all of these, except #GIRLBOSS were historical fiction, and a very similar time period - oops! I'll have to make sure my reading in August is a bit more varied.

UPDATE:  Somehow, I totally forgot that I also read Currawong Manor by Josephine Pennicott
A great Australian historical mystery that takes place in the Blue Mountains of NSW. Very suspenseful and lots of twists!


1 comment:

  1. Loved Signature of All Things (I read it at Christmas time, on a cruise through Asia - may read it again) and just finished #GirlBoss. Hadn't read the other two but interested

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think - feel free to comment!