About Me

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Review: Currawong Manor by Josephine Pennicott

I was really looking forward to this book after reading and enjoying another of Josephine Pennicott's books, Poet's Cottage.

Her latest, Currawong Manor takes place in the Blue Mountains in NSW, a place I have spent quite a bit of time in, which really added to my enjoyment of this story.

The main character, Elizabeth, is a photographer who is hired to take photos at her grandfather's house, where the whole family died or mysteriously disappeared one night decades ago. Her grandfather was a famous artist, and we have flashbacks through one of his muses, Ginger, who is finally telling her story.

I loved the descriptions of the Australian bush and the whole house, and enjoyed the art references. The cover captures the atmosphere of the novel with its moody colours and the house seen through the mist.



The mystery was compelling and at some points quite spooky, I found myself racing through the second half of the novel to discover what had happened in the past. Very suspenseful with lots of twists.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know what you think - feel free to comment!